Part-Time Short Learning Programme CertificateCoding Fundementals (Python)Classes start 4 March 2024
About this programme
This short course sets out essential concepts and provides skills relating computational thinking and coding to create basic computer programmes.
Many IT job roles that are not explicitly focused on software development require an understanding of the principles of computational thinking and the foundations of coding. You will become familiar with core techniques such as problem decomposition, pattern recognition, abstraction and algorithms as well as practical skills relating to coding.
This course is in preparation for the international ICDL exam.
Who is the ICDL?
The ICDL is internationally recognised as the global standard for End-User Computer skills and is widely adopted by governments, local and international organisations and corporations alike. The unrivalled quality of the certificate and its vendor-neutral status coupled with the unique social ethos of the ICDL Foundation and ICDL South Africa, makes the ICDL the natural choice for governments and local and international organisations worldwide.
The following topics will be covered in the programme:
- Understand key concepts relating to computing and the typical activities involved in creating a program.
- Understand and use computational thinking techniques like problem decomposition, pattern recognition, abstraction and algorithms to analyse a problem and develop solutions.
- Write, test and modify algorithms for a program using flowcharts and pseudocode.
- Understand key principles and terms associated with coding and the importance of well-structured and documented code.
- Understand and use programming constructs like variables, data types, and logic in a program.
- Improve efficiency and functionality by using iteration, conditional statements, procedures and functions, as well as events and commands in a programme.
- Test and debug a programme and ensure it meets requirements before release
Certification on successful completion of studies
On successful completion of the programme you will be awarded the Unigrad College Short Learning Programme Certificate in Coding Fundamentals (Python)
You have the option to write the international ICDL exam and receive an additional ICDL certificate (additional ICDL fees apply)
Two evenings a week (Mon & Wed) for 8 weeks. Class times are 17:30 – 19:30.
Prescribed course material, lectures and Unigrad College assessment fees are included. You have the option to write the international ICDL exam and receive an additional ICDL certificate (additional ICDL fees apply).