Part-Time Short Learning Programme CertificateCyber SecurityEvening classes start 4 March 2024
About this programme
Cyber security allows students to understand the main concepts underlying the secure use of ITC in daily life and the use of relevant techniques and applications to maintain a secure network connection, use the internet safely and securely, and manage data and information appropriately.
For individuals and organisations, securing data and information is highly important as it is valuable. You need to have the appropriate knowledge, skills and awareness to protect them.
This course is in preparation of the international ICDL exam.
Who is the ICDL?
The ICDL is internationally recognised as the global standard for End-User Computer skills and is widely adopted by governments, local and international organisations and corporations alike. The unrivalled quality of the certificate and its vendor-neutral status coupled with the unique social ethos of the ICDL Foundation and ICDL South Africa, makes the ICDL the natural choice for governments and local and international organisations worldwide.
The following topics will be covered in the programme:
- Understand the importance of keeping information and data secure
- Identify common data/privacy protection, retention and control principles
- Recognise threats to personal security from identity theft
- Threats to data from using cloud computing
- Passwords and encryption to secure files and data
- Understand the threat of malware and be able to protect a computer, device or network from malware and address malware attacks
- Recognise common network and wireless security types and be able to use personal firewalls and personal hotspots
- Protect a computer or device from unauthorised access and be able to safely manage and update passwords
- Use appropriate web browser settings and understand how to authenticate websites and browse the web securely
- Understand communication security issues that can arise from using e-mail, social networks, voice over Internet protocol, instant messaging and mobile devices
- Backup and restore data to local and cloud storage locations
- How to dispose of data and devices securely
Certification on successful completion of studies
On successful completion of the programme you will be awarded the Unigrad College Short Learning Programme Certificate in Cyber Security Fundamentals
You have the option to write the international ICDL exam and receive an additional ICDL certificate (additional ICDL fees apply)
Two evenings a week (Mon & Wed) for 8 weeks. Class times are 17:30 – 19:30.
Prescribed course material, lectures and Unigrad College assessment fees are included. You have the option to write the international ICDL exam and receive an additional ICDL certificate (additional ICDL fees apply).